Chicken Barley soup is a high-protein, high-fiber, and low-fat recipe. The soup freezes well. This soup comes out very thick, if you want a thinner soup, add more water or reduce the amount of barley to 1/2 cup. This soup recipe is very flexible. Adjust the amount of veggies and seasonings to your family’s taste.
What we need:
- Olive oil – 1 teaspoon
- Chopped carrots – 1 cup
- Chopped onions – 1 cup
- Chopped celery – 1/2 cup
- Chopped cloves garlic – 2
- Skinless chicken breast – 1- 1/2 lbs
- Reduced sodium chicken broth – 7 cups
- Chopped parsley – 1/4 cup
- Bay leaves – 2
- Dry Barley – 2/3 cup
- Fresh-ground black pepper, to taste
How Will We Proceed:
- Heat a large and heavy pot or oven over medium heat. Add the olive oil, carrots, onion, celery and garlic to the pot and stir.
- Then add chicken breast, broth, parsley, and bay leaves and allow to boil. When it’s boiling, reduce heat to low and cover the pot. Simmer covered over low heat until the chicken and vegetables are tender, its about 30 minutes.
- Then remove the chicken and shred or cut the chicken, discard the bones and return the chicken to the pot along with the barley. Adjust the salt if needed and add fresh ground pepper. Simmer an additional 40 minutes, until the barley is properly cooked.
- Discard the bay leaves and serve.