Avocado toast is one kind of open sandwich, which contains mashed avocado, black pepper and lemon juice over the top of the toast. It can be served with poached eggs, ham slice, salmon, strawberries and cheese. Here is a simple and delicious smashed avocado on toast recipe, which is perfect a quick and nutritious breakfast or snack.
- Small firm ripe avocados (stone removed and peeled) – 2
- Creamy feta cheese (crumbled) – 80g
- Chopped fresh mint (plus extra to garnish) – 2 tbsp.
- Large slices rye bread – 4
- Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- Take a medium size bowl and place the avocado. Mash it roughly by using a fork. Add 2 tablespoons of chopped mint and a large squeeze of lemon juice to the avocado. Mash them well until combined. Season it with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Toast or grill the rye bread slices until golden.
- Spoon 1/4 of the avocado mixture onto each slice of bread. Spread crumbled feta cheese over the top.
- Garnish with some extra chopped mint and serve immediately.
You can make this recipe different in taste by adding a little chili or a poached egg or some thinly shaved ham over the top of the toast. This smashed avocado on toast is a perfect combination of unsaturated fats and carbohydrates, which will keep your body energized without weighing you down.