Vegetable burgers can be made with beans, mushrooms, rice, soy and any other ingredients, which can be formed into a patty. Here is an experiment with a simple vegetable burger, named Black Bean Burger.
- Black beans (drained and rinsed) – 16 ounce
- Green bell pepper (cut into 2 inch pieces) – 1/2
- Onion (cut into wedges) – 1/2
- Cloves garlic (peeled) – 3
- Egg – 1
- Chili powder – 1 Tsp
- Cumin – 1 Tsp
- Thai chili sauce or hot sauce – 1 Tsp
- Bread crumbs – 1/2 Cup
- In case of grilling, preheat the grill to high heat and lightly spread oil a sheet of aluminum foil. In case of baking, preheat oven to 190 degrees C and lightly spread oil a baking sheet.
- Mash black beans in a medium bowl, using a fork until its being thick and pasty.
- Finely chop bell pepper, onion and garlic and then mix with mashed beans.
- Mix together egg, cumin, chili sauce and chili powder in a small bowl.
- Add this egg mixture into the mashed beans and mix in bread crumbs until the mixture becomes sticky and holds together. Then divide the mixture into four patties.
- If you want to grill, place patties on the foil and grill for 8 minutes on each side. If you want to bake, place patties on the baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes on each side.