Chili mac is an Italian dish, which usually contains chili and macaroni as primary ingredients. It is often topped with cheese. Here is a simple and easy vegetarian chili mac recipe which contains corn, beans and spices. This comforting vegetarian chili mac will be the perfect choice for those, who wants a meatless meal.
- Olive oil – 1 tbsp.
- Yellow onion – 1
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Flour – 2 tbsp.
- Chili powder – 2 tbsp.
- Diced tomatoes – 15 ounce can
- Tomato sauce – 15 ounce can
- Kidney beans – 15 ounce can
- Black beans – 15 ounce can
- Pinto beans – 15 ounce can
- Frozen corn kernels – 1 cup
- Vegetable broth – 2 cups
- Uncooked macaroni noodles – 2 cups
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese – 1 cup
- Add olive oil in a large pot and heat over medium heat. Add onion and garlic to the pot and sauté for about 2 to 3 minutes or until the onions are soft. Add flour and chili powder and sauté for two more minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, kidney beans, pinto beans, black beans, tomato sauce, corn and vegetable broth to the pot. Stir the mixture to combine well and cook.
- Add the uncooked macaroni to the pot and stir. Cover the pot, cook and stir occasionally.
- Reduce the heat and let the pot simmer for about 12 to15 minutes or until the liquid is thick and the macaroni is tender. Stir occasionally.
- When the macaroni is tender, add cheddar cheese and stir until melted.
- Remove from the heat and serve hot.
This rich and cheesy vegetarian chili mac needs about 30 minutes to cook, which can be made in one large pot.